Thursday, September 20, 2012

Batman Bee Joins Youtube Network

Major Buzz on Hive Street
Batman Bee Signs Network Contract
Buzzilion Dollar Signing Bonuses!

Internet Famous Batman Bee
I was looking at some of the Youtube Networks.  Initially, I was ready to join one as soon as possible.  I held off, though, and I think I'll wait for a while longer.  Right now it looks like a numbers game, sort of like the first day of a big poker tournament.

Revision3, Fullscreen, Maker, RPM Network, Machinima, TGN, VidcastLLC, Curse, Polipop. The names are pretty well known by now.  There are many blogs that identify the many networks, some of the blogs even speculate which are best.  The problem is that any opinion as to the relative strengths of Youtube networks is pure speculation. Of course, any network is going to say that their network is the best and will do the most for you.

Bee Hits the Youtube Pollen Jackpot
It's like picking a pony at the horse races. How do you compare one network to another?  Which networks are going to still be around in two years?  What if you pick the wrong one?  

On the other hand, what if you pick the right one and they market your killer videos and make you internet famous?  It's tough to say what the network will do for you.  Especially if you're a small low-budget content producer (like me).  Especially if you're not located near Los Angeles (like me).

Can't get enough of that Google Stuff
If I were a gamer this would be an easy decision.  I have always thought that gaming channels were a waste because it was so hard to get commercial use rights.  If I was a small gaming channel now I'd jump on any network offer because it takes that problem off the table.  

"Go monetize your gaming channel."  That's what Google and its associated networks are saying right now.  Do it before the holiday shopping season starts.  When there are suddenly 50,000 new monitized game playing partners, I think the RPM will go down ... would that surprise anyone? It will go down in proportion to the number of new partners and their views.

Batman Bee Bets Big on the Banana Network ...           But when you have a quirky Youtube presence (like me), well ...  I'm just waiting for the market to calm down.  I can wait it out.  I have all the partner features from Youtube already.  But it would be nice to have network opportunities, gigs, support and whatever else a network could offer. 


Bug Business Model Booming ...  I have always tried to make content that might have a shelf life longer than ten minutes, and I've gathered quite a quantity of content.  So, I'll worry about doing the network thing if it starts to look like I need to worry about it.

Ultimately the best Youtube advice is to make videos about things you love, so that -- whether you make money or not -- you will enjoy what you create and you will connect with people who share your interests.  That, not networks, is the point of Youtube.

Jimmyjumpnjive 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment