Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Pistons Pumping




It seems only a matter of time before the internal combustion engine will a memory.  Break the addiction to fossil fuels, I say!

But I will miss the big classic hunks of American metal.  You know what I'm saying, them big old eight-bangers.  Pushing down the gas pedal was like throwing gasoline on a moving fire.

Recently I had a chance to photograph a couple of classic American cars.  A 1969 Mercury Marquise and a 1967 Mercury Comet.  Both in beautiful, well loved and well driven condition.

These vehicles were going up for sale by the original owner.

Years from now
No one will know
What's it's like to light 'em up
with a V8 Ford

Pistons Pumping
Carburator Carburating
I Got an Eight Banger Kicking up some
Carburation

Years from now
no one will know
what it's like getting heavy
in the back of a '57 Chevy

Pistons Pumping
Carburator Carburating

Jimmyjumpnjive April 2012

If not for Iggy Pop and the Stooges, it is highly unlikely that I would have ever tried to learned to play the guitar or write songs. It was their first album, "Search and Destroy" that got me.

I was a teenager in Spokane, Washington, listening to rebellious music -- the Sex Pistols, the Ramones, David Bowie.  Soon there would be other great bands like the Talking Heads.  What I'm talking about is punk and new wave.

What seemed to set Mr. Pop apart from just about anyone else in the world was that he just seemed to think that everyone was full of crap.  And, you know, he's right.  It's not if someone is full of crap, the question is what kind of crap are they full of?

Oh, yes, and I am as full of crap as anyone.

Pistons Pumping

No comments:

Post a Comment