Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Garage Sale Divas! What would David do?

Intuition and the garage sale. 
Assorted American Art Pottery Pieces
You're at a garage sale and you see something you collect. What do you do?  "Play it cool. Pick it up if it's small.  Carry it with you if you can," advise the garage sale experts at Dumb Dog Tricks Intl.  
Red Wing Pottery Mark
If a piece of furniture is too big to carry, you can always let 'em know you want the piece and put down cash.  Cash is king.  If you don't know that, then you don't know the world of high stakes garage sales.  The important names in this bulletin are McCoy, Red Wing and Bauer.  There's one unmarked piece that I can't identify yet.  All of these pieces came from two garage sales that were near each other, perhaps only two blocks away from each other. Walking distance. 


 As I recall I went into one garage sale and scored both of the red vases.  I was like, "Wow, look at the cool stuff I just found."  Then I went over to the other house and found three or four more collectible pieces.  I've had good days before, but this was a way too easy for whatever reason.  And it was a particularly successful venture into the world of the second hand American pottery collector.
Yeah, I know this is not art pottery.  At best it's poor man's art pottery.  Curse you, David Rago!  I cannot afford REAL Art Pottery so I must collect garage sale floral ware.  I heard that Dave Rago is in a new  new reality show -- garage sale divas!  Bring it, Rago!  I'll show you a pot!  Don't piss in it! Har! Snark!
I like to think that these little gems of pottery were calling out and I followed their vibration to find them.  Is it intuition or just luck when you find a little gem of vintage American pottery. Intuition (and luck) like all my old soup recipes.
Blue is marked Bauer, Peach is marked USA (McCoy).
Collect what you love and enjoy what you collect.  You can entertain yourself forever with the possibilities, why stop at one house but not another?  Why lift the lid off one box but another? Why date one person but not another!  Har! Gak!


Extra credit question -- what is this piece?  Russel Wright-ish but no mark.  The handle is hollow but it has the old kiln marks on the bottom, like any old piece of pottery.  Wait a minute ... is it possible that this is this Unamerican Art Pottery!  Har! Snork!  My guess is that this is probably 1950's but not American.




No comments:

Post a Comment