Monday, February 20, 2012

Blow me a Bubble (Dumb Dog Trick #267)



Do you give your dog enough water?

One of the basic things every dog needs every day is fresh water. Exactly how much water is that?

From what I have heard the right amount of water is about an ounce of water per day per pound your dog weighs. So a 12 lb. little dog would need a medium-sized glass of water per day. But a 64 lb. dog would need a gallon.

Dogs are also self-regulating waterers. That means that if you put out a bunch of water for them, dogs will drink as much as they want or need. If they drink too much, they can leave some on the trees and the grass and the neighbor kid's bicycle.

My old dog Blue had quite a record of going pee on stuff. He really like to go you-know-what on other dogs, especially little dogs. He'd just mark them as soon as they got in position.

Blue also liked to mark other people's stuff, like their gear bags and ice chests. Blue liked to pee on buildings, food, statutes and people.

Yes, even people. Myself included.

Blue once peed on the marketing director of the local human society. I felt so bad, because the guy is awesome and he's in a wheelchair. What does my dog do? Lift his leg on the guy in the wheelchair.

Why? I have no idea. But I always try to give Blue enough water.

Actually, always have fresh water available for your dog. When you play with your dog (or play a dog sport) you should always have a bowl around for all of the dogs.

The only dog wee wee story I have that tops Blue's exploits would be the time that Red Dog peed on my brother's Christmas Tree. Red Dog was not allowed back into my brother's house for quite some time because Mrs. My Brother did not appreciate Red Dog's sense of humour.

"Hey, I was just goofin' and I peed on your Christmas Tree," said Red Dog.

"Leave now and I will let you live," said Mrs. Brother's Wife.

You get the idea.

Jimmy Jump
Tacoma, Washington
February 18, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment