Saturday, April 20, 2013

Victor Victrola VI 1908 in Mahogany (ebay listing)


Update - the victor "talking machine" has been sold.  We had discussed for years as a family what it would bring at auction and I am somewhat proud to be the one who really took the question to the world for an answer.

*     *     *     *

I listed the family victrola on Ebay.  I have to move and down-size.  If someone will pay me a decent price, they can own a piece of history.  Here is the listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190827508078


Here's also a Youtube Video showing the phonographs and I play an Arkie Shibley record on it.  Click the hyperlink proceeding this to watch the video.

Yes, I do believe this to be the rarer and more collectible mahogany horn and cabinet.  A Victor VI from 1908.  It's all there in good shape, even the matching hand numbered tag on the bottom of the machine.  It is worth more than I am asking, but I would like it to go to a collector and/or appreciator.


This has been in my family for a long time.  I don't remember exactly which bootstrap relative original owned this, but it was purchased in California.  The talk was always about what a luxury it was at the time of purchase and how it took a real free spender to plunk down fifty big ones on a talking machine (phonograph).  Yes, the original purchase price (no less than $50) is on the tag on the bottom.


It came with an extensive record collection.  From dirty records to patriotic marches.  Have you ever heard a vintage "adult" musical or comedy recording?  Sheesh ... talk about cheesy!  I remember one was about smoking a pipe ... and all the jokes were like "put it in your mouth" and "don't hold it like that, all the stuff will spill out."  "But it's so hard and cold."  Hahaha Very filthy for 1927.


Mom downsized and gave this to me.  Now I am downsizing ... Chances are if you are looking at this, you know more about it than I do.  This has always been kept in the house as a cherished and valued item, and it is in dusty but excellent used condition.  Yes, when we were kids we would wind it up with the hand crank (it's NOT electric) and play records on it. 


I think it still works.  Of course I am going to give it a go.  The last time I cranked it up it worked.  In the 1970s we had to find needles for it.  I think we ended up going to a sewing machine repair place for a certain type of needle.


http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190827508078


When I was born in 1960, this machine had been making music and engaging imaginations for 50 years.  Now, another 50 years later ... here it is in pretty amazing condition.



I wanted to document this machine and list some of the memories I have of owning it and enjoying it.  First, as a child I was always sternly warned not to play with the Victrola.  I still did, but not when the parents were around.  I did not break it ... but I did figure out how to open up the cabinet and see the internal gears.  Have you ever seen something covered in 100 years worth of dust?  I have.  What is amazing is that the original mahogany horn is in really good shape.  I don't think you see them very often and rarely in such good shape.

I had the best ear in the family.  How do I know that?  It would always be my job to adjust the speed to a correct setting, which was done with a manual radial stylus (terminology?) and had to be done by ear and hand.

In parting with an item like this, my hopes are two fold -- I would like to turn mom on to some money.  She needs it.  A thousand bucks is a LOT of money to her and she deserves it.  But more than that I would really like to see this talking machine go to a collector/appreciator.  It should be admired and cared for and fixed up.  Anybody up for that?

Mike McKenzie April 2013
Tacoma, Washington

Here's one for you ... I'd like to see a rapper do some scratch with this thing ... talk about Old Skool!




No comments:

Post a Comment