Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Couch Gymnastics (and a Video Editing Software Review)





My Final Cut Pro X review.  This is the first video I have made using the new and improved Final Cut Pro X.

Yes, I did say improved.  And, yes, it is more like iMovie.  Where I differ from most reviewers is that I think the simplification and compatibility with iMovie is a plus, not a minus.  Here we go into IMHO land from here on...

Understand, gentle reader, that it is advisable to rough cut a video in iMovie before importing into Final Cut (old or new version) anyway, so why shouldn't the interface between the two be similar?  Get a project into decent shape and then go to town with the titles tweaks, audio fixes and effects in Final Cut.

But the new Final Cut is far more intuitive for an intermediate-level iMovie user, and much easier to use than the old Final Cut. I think they went into the old Final Cut and looked at all the stuff nobody could use because it was super hard, and they came midway towards making it super easy.

Before you do it, I'll do a self critique on the video above.  The voice mix isn't right and my voice does not sound warm and full.  Solution:  Do the voice overs in iMovie, do the tweaks in Final Cut Pro X. There's a typo in one of the titles.  Solution:  no, really, there is a typo in one of the titles.  That's totally sub-par but the step back to fix it seemed daunting at the moment I uploaded.  Solution:  A small amount of effort will overcome this as I determine what software works best for what.  Crappy Canned Music.  Solution:  I also hate crappy canned music, so no excuses there.  I'll make my own crappy music, thank you very much, and apply polly logies for this one indiscretion.

I apologize for the gratuitous swearing, but I figure that the word "crap" and any derivative words thereof are almost not real swear words anymore.

Jimmyjumpnjive March 4, 2012



No comments:

Post a Comment