Friday, October 5, 2012

Arts and Crafts Details in Tacoma, Washington

arts and crafts era dutch boy tile
Look at the awesome details on this fireplace mantle!

I saw these little gems, and I just had to take pictures.  Original Arts and Crafts like a nice piece of Weller Claywood or Burntwood pottery.  Lovely.  Little dutch boy and dutch girl ceramic tiles.
1921 Craftsman Tile, Tacoma, WA
I have been highly attuned to all things arts and crafts of late.  It's like my arts and crafts radar just started working. Perhaps I have finally trained my eye to find it against the backdrop of so many different styles.  However that works, when I saw these little tiles I immediately loved them.

Little parts and pieces of a Visions of a bygone era.  Little gems that have survived.  For years I lived in a neighborhood that included many arts and crafts era houses.  It was a wonderful neighborhood.


The dutch boy and dutch girl tiles came from that area, and are located in recently remodeled 1921 craftsman style house in Tacoma, Washington, in a neighborhood known as the North End. 

The fireplace had been the sole source of heat and the tiles were covered in 90 years of smoot. During a rebuild of the house, the homeowner cleaned the tiles. I totally agree with cleaning the tiles.  Who needs all that grime in a nicely remodeled home?  Some, and I would like to think a small number of people, would have said to leave the patina.  I disagree completely on this one -- clean is cool and brought out the details and contrast.  

I noticed them immediately and thought how nicely they complemented the period of the house.  Interestingly enough, almost the only thing original about the house was the mantle and tiles.  I can't imagine how much scrubbing it took to get these tiles this clean.  Nice detail to save.

Jimmyjumpnjive 2012








No comments:

Post a Comment